If you’ve been here for a hot minute, you’ll know just how much I love Só Luxury products. Not only are they a female owned local small company, but their products legitimately work. Living in the Prairies, the dry air is a sensitive skinned person’s nightmare and Só Luxury is one of the only brands that I can use without reacting to. My daughters also have dry skin and patches of eczema and this is all I use on them too. I thought it would be helpful to share what Só Luxury products we use the most around here, how they work, why I love them, and why you should love them too. Please note all opinions are honest and my own.
Read to the end of this blog post for an exclusive coupon code!
Só Luxury is based in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia and is the “baby” of two best friends, Amanda & Shylah. Originally operating under the name Bébé de Luxe, a brand created by Amanda when her son was a baby, the two friends came together in the Spring of 2017 to discuss a partnership. It seemed a natural fit, since Shylah’s mom, Sue, had been an integral part of the BdL team for well over a year, managing all production and packaging while Amanda handled all other aspects.
As growth does, things started to surpass the capacity of Amanda’s spare bedroom office in her townhouse and the hours she could devote to BdL at night once her son Rian was tucked into bed. Shylah swooped in to save the day and the girls were soon incorporating So Luxury Bath & Body Inc. and signing a lease for warehouse space. Só was chosen from their joint Irish heritage and means Luxury.
What got me hooked on Só Luxury was their Coco Oat Soak.
Designed to help manage Amanda’s son’s dry skin and eczema, the really cool thing about this product is that licensed Natural Health Product by Health Canada. What does that mean? It means that the coco oat soak (an all-natural replacement for soap) does have therapeutic qualities and is recognized by Health Canada as a safe and effective product for treating eczema and other skin conditions. It is an extraordinarily thorough process to get licensed in Canada (you can read all about this process here) and is truly a testament to how well this product works.
Só Luxury Coco Oat Milk Bath is made with 100% certified organic, food-grade ingredients. The combination of organic coconut milk and organic oatmeal gently cleanses your skin and enhances their natural softness without stripping the natural oils. I put it in our bath water to ease the effects of dry skin and eczema, and often put a small scoop into my hand and mix with a bit of water to make a paste to rub into my dry, cracked, hands. This can also be done gently for cradle cap in babies! Another use we have found for the coco oat soak is after a run-in with mosquitos, a bath with a few scoops of this takes all the itchy away. We have been able to safely eliminate the use of corticosteroid creams in the girls because of how well this stuff works (always consult with your doctor first).
Made with 100% Certified Organic Ingredients: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Powder, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour, Maltodextrin, Gum Arabic.
- The Coco Cream is a vegan coconut milk bath. Safe for those with an allergy to oats and completely gluten free!
- The Só Luxury Blush Sóak starts with their signature Coco Oat Milk Bath which is then enriched with Himalayan Pink salts and Epsom salts.
Coco Cream Ingredients: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Powder*, Sodium Bicarbonate, Maltodextrin*, Gum Arabic*. (*denotes organic)
Blush Soak Ingredients: Sodium Chloride (Himalayan Pink Salt), Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Fruit Powder*, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour*, Maltodextrin*, Gum Arabic*. (*denotes organic)
Next up is probably in my top 3 Só Luxury products – the Só Flaky magnesium bath soak. I am deficient in magnesium (did you know most of the population is? –> “The evidence in the literature suggests that subclinical magnesium deficiency is rampant and one of the leading causes of chronic disease”) and emerging research is showing that in addition to oral delivery (aka a magnesium supplement), transdermal absorption (aka, through the skin) is increasingly effective for increasing one’s magnesium levels. I find it extremely useful in the bath as relief my achy sore muscles, easing my wicked bad menstrual cramps, and just generally calming my entire body.
- Só Flaky is large magnesium chloride flakes. Made up of, you guessed it, magnesium and chloride
- Epsom salts are a compound of magnesium and sulphates
While both are highly concentrated magnesium compounds, it is generally understood (research is still evolving) that magnesium chloride has a stronger transdermal absorption rate and provides longer lasting relief effects. Anecdotally, I have found this to be true for myself. Epsom salts provide little to no relief for my ailments, but magnesium chloride does – hence my love of Só Flaky lol. I go through a bag of this every month as I find it such a huge help for menstrual cramps.
Ingredients: Magnesium Chloride
The Só Luxury salves have a permanent spot in my bathroom as well.
All the Só Luxury salves are packaged in a convenient “deodorant” style stick, and all 3 have very unique uses. The all purpose salve is what I describe as a super intense moisturizer that had a love child with Polysporin. It works. It soothes, it calms, it relieves our dry cracked itchy skin immediately. I use it religiously in the winter when my skin is angry from the dry Winter air, and in the summer after I have (oops) forgotten sunscreen and my skin is itchy and peeling and dry. I love that they offer two different sizes, because my girls each have a small one in their bedrooms to apply whenever they feel their skin needs a little love. This is an absolute mainstay for our family. We have one in each bathroom, my purse, my diaper bag (I have used it as bum cream in a pinch…lol).
Next up – Fire and Ice Muscle Salves. Both designed to relieve aches and pains in sore muscles with a topical application. As you probably guessed, ice salves brings a cooling sensation, and fire salve offers a warming sensation. Your preference will likely vary as will your needs – when we both have sore backs (because early 30’s are the new 80’s), I prefer the cooling ice salve, and Mr. Bows and Bentos swears by the warming salve. I don’t think it hurts to have both and use as needed.
All Purpose Salve Ingredients: Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Cannabis Sativa Seed (Hemp) Oil, Arnica Montana (Arnica) Oil, Calendula Officinalis (Calendula) Oil, Symphytum Officinale (Comfrey) Oil, Azadirachta Indica Seed (Neem) Oil, Prunus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Juniperus Ashei (Cedarwood Texas) Essential Oil, Pinus Sylvestris (Pine) Essential Oil*, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Essential Oil*, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender)Essential Oil*
Ice Muscle Salve Ingredients: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Cera Alba (Beeswax), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Menthol, Gaultheria Procumbens (Wintergreen) Essential Oil*, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Essential Oil*, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Essential Oil*, Cinnamomum Camphora(Camphor) Essential Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Essential Oil*
Fire Muscle Salve Ingredients: Cera Alba (Beeswax), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter)*, Eugenia Caryophyllus Leaf Oil (Clove), Cinnamomum Zeylanicum Leaf Oil (Cinnamon), Melaleuca Viridiflora Leaf Oil (Niaouli), Melaleuca Leucadendron Cajeput Leaf Oil, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Capsacium Annuum Seed Oil (Chili), Menthol.
Só Luxury Magnesium Oil is another magical elixir for me. I get what I call “wiggly legs” at night sometimes (you know, when your legs just won’t chill out and rest? Not quite intense enough to call it Restless Leg Syndrome, but definitely something that bothers me sometimes) and it was way worse during my pregnancies and post-partum. My doctor cleared this as a wonderful support aid for me, but I highly recommend always speaking with your medical provider before adding or using any supplement. As I mentioned before, transdermal magnesium absorption is on the rise and works so well for me -I spritz it all over my feet and legs and I am golden.
Mag Oil Ingredients: Distilled Water and Magnesium Chloride.
(Pictured here: two limited edition Mag Oil sprays, Moon & Rose – neither are available currently).
Hands down favourite Só Luxury product of my kids? The Coco Oat Bath Bombs! I can’t really let them use bath bombs normally (we have tried so many on the market with disastrous results for their skin, but these have been a godsend. The girls get the fun of dunking in a bomb and watching it fizz, and I know it won’t hurt their skin (in fact, it helps it a lot! – we use it alongside the Coco Oat Soak). It is super similar to the Só Luxury signature Coco Oat Milk Bath formula but in a bath bomb! Unscented and intended to be gentle and soothing for the most sensitive skin. These go in Easter baskets, Holiday stockings – a big win over here.
Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Cocoa Nucifera (Coconut) Oil*, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour*
**Their Oat Kernel Flour is processed in a facility that also processes tree nuts.
Another one I like to have on hand just for day to day soaking is the Só Salty which is their epsom salt and himalayan pink salt sóak currently available in the following scents:
Bergamot Vanilla – Patchouli Lemon – Lavender Lemongrass – Coco Mint
I don’t know how exactly this scientifically works, but 1 cup each of Só Flaky, Só Salty, and Coco Oat Sóak seems to be some kind of voo-doo witch science in the matrix and is THE best migraine relief for me (your results may vary but I swear by it).
Bergamot Vanilla Ingredients: Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt), Sodium Chloride (Himalayan Pink Salt), Citrus Bergamia Leaf Oil (Bergamot), Vanilla Planifolia Oil (Vanilla)
Patchouli Lemon Ingredients: Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt), Sodium Chloride (Himalayan Pink Salt), Pogostemon Cablin Oil (Patchouli), Citrus Medica Limonum Peel Oil (Lemon)
Lavender Lemongrass Ingredients: Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt), Sodium Chloride (Himalayan Pink Salt), Lavandula Angustifolia Oil (Lavender), Cymbopogon Citratus Leaf Oil (Lemongrass)
Coco Mint Ingredients: Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt), Sodium Chloride (Himalayan Pink Salt), Mentha Piperita Oil (Peppermint), Coconut Fragrance (Parfum)
These two powerhouses are new to the Só Luxury lineup and they go hand-in hand. Só Sweet is like a fluffy sugar soufflé. It bounces back when you press your finger in, no thick butter feeling, and high quality sugar that exfoliates a lot more gently. The smells are amazing too. Vanilla mint coffee smells like a legit Starbucks Frappuccino. Coco mint smells like a Mexican cocktail you sip poolside. Bergamot vanilla is the soft sweet sugary floral scent you’d expect, and lavender lemongrass smells like a high class day at the spa. Get the entire set of 4 for yourself or as a gift – NO REGRETS. Follow up with the Só Butter to lock in all the moisture post bath. It is creamy and supple and doesn’t feel overly greasy. Both can be used for your body or your face, and both are gentle enough for sensitive skin (especially mine). A luxurious addition to my bath time routine. The lavender lemongrass smells like a high class spa and is the BEST scent of all.
All of the above are on regular rotation in my home, and get repurchased all the time. I have tried almost everything Só Luxury offers though, and I’ll give you a quick run down here if you’re curious what I think about the other products I have used:
- Só Tonic – super reasonably priced, this tonic won’t bankrupt you like most you’d find in Sephora. It is a really nice blend of apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, witch hazel, and lavender. I like that it seems to cut down on my face grease in the summer, and keep my face feeling generally cleaner. I don’t find the scent overpowering at all.
- Só Bare – these are reusable bamboo cotton facial rounds that are used to remove makeup and cleanse/tone your face with a zero-waste lifestyle, helping to keep some of the 1000’s of disposable pads used every year out of our landfills. These are 3 layer, 3 inch rounds and are dual sided – bamboo terry on one side for a deeper cleanse or bamboo velvet on the other side for more sensitive skin such as the under eye area. These wash up beautifully.
- Só Lippy – all natural and ultra hydrating lip balm. Works well and only 4 bucks. HUGE win at this price point.
- Só Body & Face Oils – A little goes a long way. These are a moisturizing and nourishing blend of Jojoba, Apricot and Avocado oils with a touch of Vitamin E that can be used for both face and body (I find them best for my body). Get the unscented if you have sensitive skin.
- Só Cleansing Bars (honey oat, charcoal, and lather) – LOVE these all. Honey oat and lather are amazing for kids, and awesome for sensitive skin. Eczema friendly for sure. Just note that if using as a baby soap, that their formula does not contain any chemical ingredients to make it tear-free like traditional baby soaps. As such, be extra careful to ensure soap does not get into baby’s eyes. The charcoal bar soap is great for faces (especially mens!)
- Só Sunny – Sunscreen! Another Natural Health Product (as you read above, this means it is licensed and approved by Health Canada meaning it does what it claims to do aka protect you from the sun). Fun fact: only two sunscreen ingredients on Earth are proven safe for children as young as 6 months old – zinc oxide (find it in every good diaper cream) and titanium dioxide. The two medicinal ingredients in this sunscreen are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Not greasy. No scent. A little thick but rubs in well and most importantly, works like a hot damn!
- Só Clean Peppermint Hand Sanitizer – another Natural Health Product approved by Health Canada and licensed to be a proper hand sanitizer. Smells like peppermint, and rubs in super well. Not greasy or slimey, no sticky residue afterwards. The size is perfect for purses!
- Só Outdoorsy – seasonal product for bug resistance (not currently available). I found it great for protecting against mosquitos in the backyard and during park play. Kids could spray it on themselves, and no harmful ingredients if they went a little rogue. A great gentle alternative for bug protection (I would still use a spray with DEET protection against ticks for hiking or backcountry activities).
There you have it, folks! A lengthy but comprehensive run-down. I felt compelled to share all of this because I think reviews are a super powerful consumer tool to make decisions with. I read them extensively when making my own buying decisions, and so I felt this may be helpful for you. But most of all, I love steering the boat (with my voice) towards small local shops, led by powerful business women, as a way to promote, support, and raise up local entrepreneurs. Amanda and Shylah are really sweet people with amazing products and my hope is that the future lends itself to less Big Box Brands, and more grassroots companies like Só Luxury with products that work even better.
What you have all been waiting for – COUPON CODE!!!!!
From February 1-14, 2021, use code BOWS15 at checkout to save 15% off your entire order.
Shipping is free (aka subsidized) on orders $100+ to Canada and the USA, and are shipped via Canada Post.
Disclosure: I earn a small commission if my coupon code above is used, and is a means to compensate my time and energy for this comprehensive and detailed product review guide. All statements contained within this review guide are my own, honest and authentic!
What is your fave Só Luxury product? Any questions? Drop them in the comments below and I’ll do my best to answer!