I am trying to (slowly but surely) move away from most processed/packaged snacks for my daughters. It is *hard* – those damn marketers know parents have nNO time, the individual packages are convenient as hell, and there are some really really good rockstar healthy eats on the market. But you guys – these little energy bites took me maaaaybe 10 mins to make? And they are toddler, preschooler, and husband approve.
- 1 cup oats (I use quick oats)
- 1/2 cup nut/seed butter (I used peanut butter but using sunflower seed butter makes them school safe – you can get it at Bulk Barn for a decent price)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup honey or agave nectar (if using honey, don’t let children under age 1 eat these – and opt for agave nectar if you want to make these vegan)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut️1/3 cup (ish…🙊) mini chocolate chips (or dairy free alternative)
- Mix all together like a boss. Too wet? Add more oats. Too dry? Add more agave/honey.
- Pop into the fridge to chill for a half hour. Then roll into balls (dip into more shredded coconut if you want to).
- Bam! You did it. You can get every single one of these ingredients at Bulk Barn Foods (No, I am still not sponsored….sadly). Put a couple of these bad boys on some vanilla ice cream and you basically have yourself a salad.