Most kids love tator tots. Most kids don’t eat enough vegetables. I found a way to get my kids to like vegetable tots more than tator tots (I am still waiting for my Nobel Prize, no big deal…). Now, I am not a fan of “hiding” veggies in foods, because I don’t believe tricks or switches allow room for my girls to trust me. I am open and honest with them about the ingredients in the food I make them – and (blah blah blah blah get to the recipe, Rachel…)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (Kraft powdered stuff won’t work. You need real parm. I love the parm petals from Costco)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (I like Panko, but you can defs make your own)
- 1 medium sized zucchini
- 2 chicken butt nuggets (*eggs*)
- Olive oil, and spices (pick what you like, you’re the boss)
How to make:
- 1st off – preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Next, shred up your zucchini & parmesan
- Dump your shredded zucchini into a tea towel (or cheese cloth) and wrap it up like a dumpling. We want to squeeze the ever loving ship outta it to get as much moisture out as possible. Pretend you’re Dr Pimple Popper and SQUEEZE.
- Once it is 90% less moist, put zucchini shreds into a bowl. Add a cup of bread crumbs.
- Add 1/2 cup ISH (cheese is life) of shredded parmesan to the bowl
- Crack 2 chicken butt nuggets into the bowl
- Drizzle some olive oil in there
- Next, add your spices. I used salt, pepper, Everything But The Bagel Seasoning, garlic powder, minced onion, and paprika.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or a silpat works just fine too)
- Mix up your bowl of ingredients. Too dry? Add a touch more olive oil
- Form into tot-like shapes with your hands. You can even make patties or squares or hexagons. You’re the boss, you decide.
- Pop those dudes into the oven for 20 mins. Flip, then cook for 10 more minutes.
- Make some homemade dip and enjoy (I prefer ranch)
- BOOM. Your kid ate a vegetable today.
*Note: YES, you can make these and freeze/refrigerate them. I usually only do fridge and pop them into a 350 degree F oven to warm up for 10ish mins.